Saturday, July 16, 2016

G.I.T---Gettin' It Together

I want to write again. I miss it. Suppose the only real way to do so is to just do it. No magical force will come upon me. No special permission granted. My problem is not putting the bullshit down on paper, and accept that it is bullshit I can polish later. I become too busy trying to polish as I go. Many said it doesn't work. I think they are right. So why do I have to be so hard-headed?

Should be reading a lot more too. Writers read. And I have been reading. A little here and a little there. Wasting valuable time "trying books on." I'll get an idea in my head of what book I want to read and then when I start to read it, it doesn't fit. None of them seem to fit. I guess I have to be in the right mood for certain books. Why is it that some books seem like a good idea at the time, but I falter when I attempt to read them? I'm expecting them to be massive feats in literature.  JD Salinger's Catcher in the Rye and Larry Kramer's Faggots. I expect them to be massive feats in literature, and fancy myself as the last of a generation that's even capable of appreciating the work.

Already brimming with ideas. Probably would be better served to write them down. Especially the good ones, because they always show up when I have no intention of writing them down. Of course when I start writing, a slight breeze blows through my head where the ideas should be forming. Silly me, I knew it was going to happen; like there's something noble in staring into a blank computer page. There isn't anything to be cherished from being devoid of creativity. I'd prefer to return to my desk every writing day with a word count to reach for. I'd rather my fingertips went numb from pounding computer keys into sentences that might actually fill pages.

Right now, my editor has my current novel The Best Possible Angle. I should be using that downtime to work on a first draft for my next novel. All sounds great in my head. But none of it matters without action. I think the problem is that I lack discipline. I think I'm giving the middle finger to convention; never mind the fact that serious writers plant themselves in a chair everyday. They aren't above staring endlessly into that white page until something comes.

Perhaps my problem is that I need to put myself on a schedule. So, I propose this...Mondays and Tuesdays are reading and marketing days. Wednesday-Friday are full writing days. Saturday is a short writing day and Sunday is off. I think I can handle that. If any other writers have a schedule that works for them, please let me know. I'm all ears...

No comments:

Post a Comment